Keeping Cool with your Workout
Exercising is always fun, right? Right?! Well, whether you’re actually doing it because you _like_ to, or because you _have_ to, there is no reason to get all hot and dehydrated about it! Here are a few tips for exercising in the heat.
* Drink lots of water and other hydrating fluids. While sweating burns calories, it also rids your body of needed moisture, so you need to keep it replenished. You should drink water before your workout, at least every 15 minutes _during_ your workout, and even afterwards. And remember, the hotter it is, the more you should consume.
* In the heat, you will lose energy faster, so it’s important to eat plenty of whole grains, fruits and fruit juices to keep a good energy supply to your muscles.
* Remember that dark colors absorb sunlight, and light colors reflect it. So, when exercising in the heat of day, be sure to wear light, bright colored clothing.
* The worst times for exercising outside on hot days is between 10am and 3pm, when the sun is at its closest point to your part of the earth.
* Be sure to wear a good sunblock to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays, but make sure you choose a product that is oil-free and waterproof.
* And don’t be afraid to take a breather under some cool shade!